Focus Relief Plus® provides 1620mg of re-esterified triglyceride (rTG) Omega-3 fatty acids per day with over 90% EPA and DHA, a higher concentration than other leading supplements.
What is rTG Fish Oil and Why?
Because fish oil naturally contains a lower concentration of EPA and DHA, two types were developed to deliver higher levels of these beneficial nutrients in fewer doses—ethyl ester (EE) and re-esterified triglycerides (rTG).
Based upon one of the largest, independent studies conducted recently, as well as input from our customers, Focus Relief Plus now utilizes the rTG form.4 rTG takes the synthetic EE form of omega-3 and converts it back to its natural triglycerides (TG) form. This not only allows the delivery of concentrated omega-3, but ensures that absorption is optimized. Additionally, the added bioavailability benefit of rTG fish oil, though conflicting studies exist, outweighs that of an EE fish oil5 and is preferred by the majority of ophthalmologists.
4. Visioli F, Rise P, Barassi MC, et al, Dietary intake of fish vs. formulations leads to higher plasma concentrations of n-3 fatty acids. Lipids. 2003 Apr;38(4):415-8.
5. These claims are referenced in Asbell PA, Maguire MG, Peskin E, Bunya VY, Kuklinski EJ; Dry Eye Assessment and Management (DREAM©) Study Research Group. Dry Eye Assessment and Management (DREAM©) Study: Study design and baseline characteristics. Contemp Clin Trials. 2018 Aug;71:70-79. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2018.06.002. Epub 2018 Jun 6.
What is GLA?
The Omega 6 GLA has gained recognition over the last few decades for its anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer actions. Some key findings from controlled clinical trials include:
- In arthritics, several trials report that GLA reduced inflammation, symptoms, and the requirement for NSAIDs
- In inflammatory dry eye, GLA improved symptoms and reduced inflammation; in PRK patients, GLA relieved symptoms, and increased tear production and clearance; in Sjögren’s patients, GLA eased ocular discomfort by reducing inflammation and increasing tear content of PGE1
- In diabetics, GLA improved nerve conduction velocity leading to improved blood flow and reduced tingling of extremities
- In patients with acute lung injury, GLA along with EPA improved gaseous exchange
- In breast cancer patients, GLA improved the effectiveness of tamoxifen, reduced side-effects, and hastened therapeutic response
- In uremic pruiritis, a common problem in hemodialysis patients, topically applied GLA relieved symptoms (Abreu, 2017)
Schnebelen C, Viau S, Grégoire S, Joffre C, Creuzot-Garcher C, P, Bron A, M, Bretillon L, Acar N: Nutrition for the Eye: Different Susceptibility of the Retina and the Lacrimal Gland to Dietary Omega-6 and Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Incorporation. Ophthalmic Res 2009;41:216-224. doi: 10.1159/000217726
Creuzot-Garcher C, Baudouin C, Labetoulle M, et al. Efficacy assessment of Nutrilarm, a per os omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated essential fatty acid dietary formulation versus placebo in patients with bilateral treated moderate dry eye syndrome. J Fr Ophtalmol. 2011;34:448-455.
THE IMPORTANCE OF OMEGA 6 INCLUDING GLA AN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY NUTRIENT: Jolie Abreu (2017) Blog, Cherab, Education, Featured, Fish Oil Information, Nutrition News, Parenting Special Needs, Pursuit, Research, Research Of Interest, Science, Therapy;